Valdez Zoning Code
(TITLE 17) REVISION
We need your input!
The City of Valdez requests feedback on draft concepts and proposed changes to the zoning code. We need YOUR guidance on how to improve the new zoning ordinance, so zoning code works better for the community.
This survey will take approximately 15 minutes. We can’t proceed without community guidance, so thank you for taking the time to provide input.
The survey closes on Friday, April 14.
The City of Valdez is working to revise our community’s zoning code (Title 17). This project will align the City’s zoning and land use standards with the vision, goals and land use map in the recently adopted Comprehensive Plan (“Plan Valdez”).
Be consistent with
Address natural hazards
Plan for “winter city” conditions
Create land use/development flexibility
Allow more housing options
Accommodate mixed-use projects
Remove unnecessary regulations
Streamline review procedures
Public Open House Documents
Missed the open house on March 16? Click here to download the presentation slides and display posters.
Sign Up for Project Updates
Join our mailing list to receive no more than six emails with important news about the zoning revision process, starting January 2023.
Share Your Comments
Have ideas about what Valdez’s new zoning code should look like? What challenges have you had using the current code, or an idea for a new development that isn’t possible right now? We want to hear your thoughts! Please use the box below to send our project team your comments.
Project Manager, Agnew::Beck Consulting
Planning Director, City of Valdez Planning Department
September 29, 2022
STAFF LISTENING SESSION 1:
October 12, 2022
JOINT WORK SESSION 1:
City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission
October 25, 2022
STAFF LISTENING SESSION 2:
November 2022-Spring 2023
Public Open House: Thursday, March 16, 2023
7:00 p.m., Valdez Civic Center
Survey: March 2023 (launched with public open house)
PUBLIC REVIEW DRAFT OF CODE:
Initial review draft of Title 17 ordinance
JOINT WORK SESSION 2: (Announced in 2023)
City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission
PUBLIC HEARING AND APPROVAL PROCESS: (Announced in 2023)
Official public hearing draft, approval process
Working Group Meetings
Meetings are open to the public to attend and listen.
November 10, 2022 – Thursday
12:00- 1:30 p.m.
December 5, 2022 – Monday
January 9, 2023 – Monday
February 6, 2023 – Monday
March 6, 2023 – Monday
April 10, 2023 – Monday
May 2, 2023 – Tuesday
Who is Leading the Process?
The City of Valdez is leading the process, in collaboration with a Working Group of community advisors. Technical assistance and code drafting is provided by a planning consultant team, Agnew::Beck and Stantec.
The Working Group is comprised of representatives from City Council, Planning & Zoning Commission, Valdez Native Tribe, residents, development experts, businesses, and other community perspectives. It is the core recommendation body for code and map revisions. Working Group members include:
- Dennis Fleming, City Council
- James Devens, City Council
- Chris Watson, Planning and Zoning Commission
- Steve Goudreau, Planning and Zoning Commission
- Anna Bateman, Valdez Native Tribe
- Brad Barnett, Barnett Building, LLC
- Priscilla Gregg, Bear Paw RV Park
- Alice MacDonald, Retired Real Estate Agent
- Dan Gilson, Resident
- Ken Lares, Resident
- Planning Department Staff:
- Kate Huber, Director
- Bruce Wall, Senior Planner
- Nicole LeRoy, Planner
- Project Team:
- Shelly Wade, Principal, Agnew::Beck Consulting
- Anna Brawley, Project Manager, Agnew::Beck Consulting
- Erin Perdu, Lead Planner, Stantec
- Ryan Givens, Senior Planner Stantec
Agnew::Beck serves as the project’s lead consultant, managing public engagement and revised code approval.
Stantec leads code review and development of code revisions, as well as producing maps and final code language for approval.
Download the Plan Valdez Comprehensive Plan, project documents, meeting materials, and other resources by clicking the links below.
- Plan Valdez, Comprehensive Plan (adopted 2021)
- Current Zoning Code (Valdez Municipal Code, Title 17)
- Valdez Current Zoning Code Analysis, November 2022 (coming soon)
- City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission Joint Work Session, October 12, 2022
- Agenda Packet, including background information about the project
- Presentation Slides
- Public Open House, March 16, 2023
- Presentation Slides, including project overview and current schedule
- Display Posters
Working Group Meeting Notes, Agendas, and Presentations
- Meeting 1: Thursday, November 10, 2022
- Meeting 2: Monday, December 5, 2022
- Meeting 3: Monday, January 9, 2023
- Meeting 4: Monday, February 6, 2023
- Meeting 5: Monday, March 6, 2023