Valdez Zoning Code
(TITLE 17) REVISION
VERY IMPORTANT October 2023 Update
We need your feedback, Valdez — The Draft Revised Valdez Zoning Code (Title 17) is Ready for Your Review!
Deadline for Comments — EXTENDED to: Sunday, November 12th, 2023
CLICK BELOW TO ACCESS:
- The Revised Valdez Zoning Code (Title 17): October 2023 Public Review Draft
- An easy-to-read “Guide for Reviewing the Revised Code” that highlights examples of proposed changes to Title 17
- The draft zoning maps that accompany the code, showing district consolidations in some areas. NEW!
- A detailed list of major changes that references specific code sections and describes each change. NEW!
SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK BY NOVEMBER 12th! Here’s how:
- Use the comment form in the Contact Us section below
- Email your comments to our team: email@example.com
- Download and complete this fillable/printable comment form
You can email it to us, drop it off at the Planning Department, or mail it to:
ATTN: Revised Valdez Zoning Code Comments
212 Chenega Ave, Valdez, AK 99686
Have a question or need more info about the Public Review Draft or process for providing comments?
- Call or email the project team using the information in the Contact Us section
The City of Valdez is working to revise our community’s zoning code (Title 17). This project will align the City’s zoning and land use standards with the vision, goals and land use map in the recently adopted Comprehensive Plan (“Plan Valdez”).
Be consistent with
Address natural hazards
Plan for “winter city” conditions
Create land use/development flexibility
Allow more housing options
Accommodate mixed-use projects
Remove unnecessary regulations
Streamline review procedures
Sign Up for Project Updates
Join our mailing list to receive no more than six emails with important news about the zoning revision process, starting January 2023.
Share Your Comments
Have ideas about what Valdez’s new zoning code should look like? What challenges have you had using the current code, or an idea for a new development that isn’t possible right now? We want to hear your thoughts! Please use the box below to send our project team your comments.
September 29, 2022
STAFF LISTENING SESSION 1:
October 12, 2022
JOINT WORK SESSION 1:
City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission
October 25, 2022
STAFF LISTENING SESSION 2:
November 2022-Spring 2023
Public Open House: Thursday, March 16, 2023, Valdez Civic Center
Community Feedback Survey: March-April 2023
PUBLIC HEARING DRAFT OF CODE:
Public hearing draft of Title 17 ordinance will be published approximately 4 weeks (or more) before first public hearing at Planning & Zoning Commission. Public comment period begins.
JOINT WORK SESSION 2: (Timing TBD, to be announced in August)
City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission
First public opportunity to review draft ordinance before official public hearing process, informational only.
PUBLIC HEARING AND APPROVAL PROCESS: (Timing TBD, to be announced in August)
Planning & Zoning Commission: September (tentative)
City Council: TBD (following Planning & Zoning Commission vote)
Both bodies will each hold public hearings, discuss potential amendments. Ordinance requires approval vote by Council.
Working Group Meetings
Meetings are open to the public to attend and listen.
November 10, 2022 – Thursday
12:00- 1:30 p.m.
December 5, 2022 – Monday
January 9, 2023 – Monday
February 6, 2023 – Monday
March 6, 2023 – Monday
April 10, 2023 – Monday
May 2, 2023 – Tuesday
Who is Leading the Process?
The City of Valdez is leading the process, in collaboration with a Working Group of community advisors. Technical assistance and code drafting is provided by a planning consultant team, Agnew::Beck and Stantec.
The Working Group is comprised of representatives from City Council, Planning & Zoning Commission, Valdez Native Tribe, residents, development experts, businesses, and other community perspectives. It is the core recommendation body for code and map revisions. Working Group members include:
- Dennis Fleming, City Council
- James Devens, City Council
- Steve Goudreau, Planning and Zoning Commission
- Anna Bateman, Valdez Native Tribe
- Priscilla Gregg, Bear Paw RV Park
- Alice MacDonald, Retired Real Estate Agent
- Dan Gilson, Resident
- Ken Lares, Resident
- Chris Watson, Planning and Zoning Commission (former member)
- Planning Department Staff:
- Kate Huber, Director
- Bruce Wall, Senior Planner
- Nicole LeRoy, Planner
- Project Team:
- Shelly Wade, Project Manager, Agnew::Beck Consulting
- Erin Perdu, Lead Planner, Stantec
- Ryan Givens, Senior Planner Stantec
- Anna Brawley, Agnew::Beck Consulting (former staff)
Download the Plan Valdez Comprehensive Plan, project documents, meeting materials, and other resources by clicking the links below.
Public Engagement Materials
- Community Feedback Survey Summary Results, May 2023
- City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission Joint Work Session, October 12, 2022
- Public Open House, March 16, 2023
Working Group Meeting Notes, Agendas, and Presentations
- Meeting 1: Thursday, November 10, 2022
- Meeting 2: Monday, December 5, 2022
- Meeting 3: Monday, January 9, 2023
- Meeting 4: Monday, February 6, 2023
- Meeting 5: Monday, March 6, 2023
- Meeting 6: Monday, April 10, 2023
- Meeting 7: Tuesday, May 2, 2023